An emerging health theme is sprouting! Eat a more plant based diet. This type of eating style focuses on a distinct eating pattern versus one specific nutrient over another. As a registered dietitian, I embrace plant based eating as it encourages a healthful lifestyle through FOOD FIRST.
An interesting, fun and creative way to increase plant based foods in your diet is to incorporate more vegetables in favorite everyday dishes. Let’s “think outside the salad bag.” I especially like the ready to go Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blends, available in three unique, delicious varieties: Fresh Harvest, Garden Medley and Hearty Greens. All three blends are versatile, convenient, nutrient-dense and packed with superfoods. A handful of greens added to any dish go a long way to adding texture, color and nutrients.
1. Egg Smart
Like some crunch with your eggs? Simply add a handful of Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blends to any egg dish.
Eggs are not just for breakfast anymore. Having a hearty omelet full of greens is delicious at any meal.
Greens in an omelet
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until tender
- Add a handful or two of the Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Garden Medley; sauté until tender
- Add a few whipped eggs, salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and serve with sliced tomatoes and toast or crackers
Greens in a quiche
- Sauté the Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Garden Medley first, to soften. You can do this on the stove top with a bit of oil or in the microwave
- Once soft, spoon into your pie crust
- Whip up a few eggs, salt and pepper to taste; feel free to add some herbs and spices
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust
- Cook at 350 F for 30 minutes or until the center of the quiche is firm
- Serve on a plate with a side salad made from the same vegetable blend; add a splash of oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper
Greens under eggs
- Boil two eggs until soft, with runny yolks; cool and peel
- Fill a single serving bowl with Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Garden Medley
- Top it off with the two soft boiled eggs; the runny yolk will double as the salad dressing
- Squirt some lemon for added zest
- Add salt & pepper plus herbs and spices to taste
2. Wilt Those Greens
By gently wilting the Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blends, (I like using the Hearty Greens blend), you can make any dish more interesting, delicious and nutritious.
There are three ways to wilt tender greens:
• Quickly sauté on the stove top
• Heat for 45 seconds in the microwave
• Add at the end of the cooking time
If you prefer more crunch to your foods, skip the wilting. Simply add the Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend of your choice to any cooked dish that is still warm. Add at the last minute and gently blend. Some suggested dishes include: baked beans or any legume dish, casseroles, grain dishes or roasted vegetables.
Quick and Easy Pho soup
- Heat together: soup broth and precooked meatballs, cooked meat strips or cooked lentils/chickpeas
- Add a full bag of Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Fresh Harvest; heat until boiling
- Add your vermicelli noodles, turn off burner; let sit for a few minutes while the vermicelli cooks
- Serve into bowls; garnish with fresh Thai basil
3. Bed Those Greens
By making a bed of greens your priority under every meal, you will be adding nutrients plus volume but with very little calories.
Make a bed of greens with Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Hearty Greens. It creates a nutrient-dense backdrop to any pasta bowl, rice dish or warmed up leftover. It is also great under your favorite fruit salad.
4. Blend Those Greens
Add the Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Garden Medley …
• into any smoothie
• into a cheese ball
Chop up finely the Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Garden Medley. Add cream cheese plus your favorite herbs and spices; a sprinkle of basil, onion salt and pepper to taste. For added zip, add shredded sharp cheese. Stir it all together; best to let it sit for an hour or two. Serve with your favorite crackers or thinly sliced baguette or pumpernickel bread.
5. Stuff Those Greens
For added texture, the Eat Smart Superfood Salad Blend Fresh Harvest is easily tucked into any wrap or sandwich.
Make it a habit to include more plant based foods, especially more vegetables, to any meal or snack. A handful here and there goes a long way toward a healthier lifestyle.